10. Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Corinthians 3:17 Berean Study Bible [Donald has said this is his favorite verse. It refers to the liberty of spirit that comes from a relationship with God, not to unfettered greed. My poem “Balances and Checks” reads in part, “Our two party system has balances and checks: One wants no restraint on profit, one wants no restraint on sex….” I believe strongly in the free marketplace of ideas. See www.thefire.org.]
9. Don’t talk so much. You keep putting your foot in your mouth. Be sensible and turn off the flow! Proverbs 10:19 Living Bible (TLB) [The only person who can defeat Donald Trump is Donald Trump. Run it thru your head twice and run it by the Lord before you say it or Tweet it. I think my new favorite book will be All Quiet on the Trump Gaffe Front.** In I Kings 19, the LORD was not in the wind, the earthquake or the fire, but in the “still, small voice.” Even the great social and economic reformer John the Baptist said regarding Jesus, “He must increase but I must decrease.” John 3:30 English Standard Version]
- But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord,“Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything,I will pay back four times the amount.” Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham. For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.” Luke 19:8-10 New International Version (NIV) [Genuine repentance, humility, and an attempt at restitution would be good steps in recovery from ego addiction. The world, you and God know enough about you and Carl Icahn that you each need to “take a bath” (See John 13:1-17).]
7. From everyone to whom much has been given, much shall be required. Luke 12:48 New Revised Standard Version) [See http://www.investopedia.com/ terms/t/trickledowntheory.asp. Graduated income tax would seem to have biblical support, unless the wealthy voluntarily help the poor. In response to Rep. Ron Kind’s claim that several admirals say we need the Trans-Pacific Partnership for our foreign policy, speaker, author, radio host and former Texas agriculture commissioner Jim Hightower responded, “Our foreign policy is not going to be advanced by turning our sovereignty over to corporate tribunals that can overturn our local laws, our state laws, our national laws, and indeed, even in our military operations around the world. So this is just nonsense. These admirals are speaking on behalf of the corporate establishment that does want to establish a world corporate supremacy. And one way to do that is by military force, but another way to do it is by these trade scams, where you just overrule the local people.” (Interview with DE, 8/2/16)]
6. The king gives stability to the land by justice, But a man who takes bribes overthrows it. A man who flatters his neighbor is spreading a net for his steps. Proverbs 29:4-5 New American Standard (NAS) [Watch out for Vladimir Putin, certain journalists. Sometimes a script or a teleprompter can be a good thing. Know your vulnerabilities as well as your strengths.
5. “Do not stop him,” Jesus said, “for whoever is not against you is for you.” Luke 9:50 (NIV) [I believe Muslims have it two-thirds right, which is more right than a lot of people have it: If God were to become a human being, and then die on a cross, it would be doubly outrageous–unless it were true and he did it to be able to offer forgiveness of sins to everyone who puts their faith in him, in which case it would be the best news the world had ever heard! See Meic Pearse (2003). Why the Rest Hates the West.]
4. …nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor verbal abusers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified, in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. I Corinthians 6:10-11 (Berean Study Bible) [“Donald Trump is immodest, arrogant, foul-mouthed, money-obsessed, thrice-married, and until recently, pro-choice.” (http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/09/why-do-evangelicals-support-donald-trump/403591/)]
3. For lack of guidance a nation falls, but many advisers make victory sure. Proverbs 11:14 (NIV) [It is said that Abraham Lincoln intentionally included in his cabinet forceful personalities who disagreed with him. I believe that everyone needs someone in his or her life who can sit you down, shut you up, and set you straight.]
2. And let the one who is thirsty come, and the one who desires the water of life drink freely. (Revelation 22:17 (Berean Study Bible) [Becoming a born again Christian doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re the best candidate for president. Article VI, Paragraph 3 of the US Constitution forbids a religious test for public office. King Solomon asked God for wisdom. King David asked God for mercy. Jesus asked his friends for prayer.]
1. For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16 (NIV) Fact: Jesus died and rose from the dead. Reason: To forgive us and make us right with God. Encounter: Turn from all you know to be wrong and ask Jesus to be your Forgiver and Leader. Expression: Show your FREE thankfulness by loving and serving him and others.
A Born-Again Donald Trump? Believe It, Evangelical Leader Says The New York Times ^ | 6/25/16 | TRIP GABRIEL and MICHAEL LUO http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3443715/posts See also http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/09/why-do-evangelicals-support-donald-trump/403591/
*In August 2015, Donald Trump said the Bible was his favorite book, but then he couldn’t name his favorite verse. http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/04/trumps-bible-fail/478425/
Otherwise unattributed comments are solely the opinions of Dan Eumurian, La Crosse, WI. Thoughtful discussion welcome. May be reproduced in its entirety or by advance written permission. See www.PianosNSongs.com or Facebook.
To Trump Facebook page, Aug. 21, 2016: Dan Eumurian I appreciate the support for tolerance. Tolerance is not an end in itself. It facilitates the respectful, free exchange of ideas that solves problems and creates progress. See thefire.org–Foundation for Individual Rights in Education.
Dan Eumurian I appreciate the expression of regret! The next step is to appoint an impartial expert to determine who has been hurt financially by Trump mistakes over the years, and to make arrangements for some degree of restitution–as well as apology. Mr. Trump is moving beyond childish things and is realizing his potential as a vital leader. Good managers don’t do all the work, but they listen, analyze, decide and act.